What is Social Media Marketing and Why It is So Important?
More and more customers are interacting with businesses through social networks. If you have a business, you need a powerful plan to take advantage of social networks since it is the key to create interest for new customers. If properly implemented the marketing of social networks can bring remarkable success to your business.
What is Social Network Marketing
Social Network Marketing (SMM) is a form of marketing that uses social network pages as a tool.
The aim of the SMM is to produce content that users will share through the various social networks in order to promote the business/company and reach new customers.
One of the key components of SMM is the creation and optimization of pages on social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube). There are many benefits of social media optimization – benefits that may ”push” you in front of your competition.
As we follow a strategy in optimizing a website for search engines (SEO), doing keyword research, and other techniques, the same goes for social media.
Adding links to social networks on websites to share content, such as RSS feeds, sharing buttons – or promoting business activities exclusively on social network pages, with status updates or a tweet, or a post on the page.
This also helps a company get instant feedback on services or products from customers — potential customers, and brings it closer to them.
Direct communication of customers with the business through social networks provides customers with the opportunity to ask questions or complaints and feel that someone is there for them. This is called managing social relationships with customers.
SMM became widely known with the growing popularity of websites such as Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, and YouTube.
Set Up Your Goals
Before you start creating a marketing campaign, you need to consider your business goals. Starting a marketing campaign with no specific strategy in mind you’re lost — it’s like wandering through a forest without a map.
Create a plan with your goals: What do you hope to achieve through social networks? What’s your target audience? How does your audience use social networks? What message do you want to send to your audience?
Develop Your Goals
Social media marketing can help with a number of objectives, such as:
- Increase the traffic of your website.
- Increase the awareness of your business.
- Create a positive corporate identity directly linked to the business.
- Improve communication and interaction with customers.
- Measuring social ROI* (return on investment) always only through the creation of goals.
e.g. the ROI of an investment is calculated as follows:
Joe, invested in a coffee maker 10,000 USD and in two years sold it for 12,000 USD so the ROI of this investment is 12,000 USD – 10,000 USD = 2,000 USD / 10,000USD = 0.2 or 20% profit.
Tips for Social Media Marketing
Here are some tips for properly implementing Social Network Marketing to keep your campaign on track:
- Programming — Think about the content and keywords that interest your target audience.
- The right content — Make sure you offer valuable information to your customers and make sure they find your information interesting, too. Create a variety of image-based and video-based content.
- Correct image on all social networks — The use of social media allows your business to project its image on different platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest Instagram, etc.) e.g. designing a unique logo, i.e. a correct image, is necessary for the business but also to strengthen your name.
- Blog/Blogging — is a powerful marketing tool and through social networks allows you to share a wide range of information and content with your readers. Your company’s blog can also be used to announce your recent actions, for competitions and events.
- Links — Your connection to external sources (other websites) improves your confidence and reliability, and you might even get some links in return.
- Competitors — It is always important to check up on your competitors. You may be using the same marketing and social networking techniques but surely someone is doing it better!
Popular Social Networks
Facebook’s familiar and friendly environment requires the creation of a Facebook Business Fan Page. Particular attention should be paid to appearance. You can chat with the public, post articles, pictures, videos, contests, and offers.
TIP: Facebook is a place people go to relax and chat with friends, so keep a friendly look.
Pinterest is the latest trend on social networks. The Pinterest Platform is “iconoclastic” and is ideal for trade and sales, but anyone can benefit from using it. Pinterest allows small businesses to present their own product offerings, and develop their personal identity through unique pins.
Twitter is the marketing tool that allows you to spread your news across the web. Follow people on Twitter in related areas with your object, and you’ll get a steady stream of followers in return.
TIP: Create tweets for special offers, discounts, updates, and news. Retweet when a customer has something good to say about you, and don’t forget to answer questions.
LinkedIn is a professional social networking site. LinkedIn teams are a great place to enter a professional dialogue with people in your “space” and provide a place to share content with like-minded people.
Encourage your customers to give a recommendation to your LinkedIn business page. Recommendations make your business look more reliable to new customers. Also, look for the section — LinkedIn Questions;
YouTube is the number one place to create video content and is an extremely powerful marketing tool. Many companies try to create videos with the goal of going viral, but in reality, these chances are slim. Instead, focus on creating useful and explainer type of business videos e.g. how to do this…
TIP: These videos have added benefits and are favored in Google’s search results.
Soooo, by now you should have understood what it social media marketing and why it is so important. If not, drop a comment below and let me know what is that you didn’t understand. I might update the content here based on your recommendations and our discussion.
👉 Follow CS on Facebook to receive notications on new articles I publish.
ℹ️ This blog is reader-supported. When you buy through links on this site, I may earn an affiliate commission without any surcharge to you. This helps me continue offer free and qualiy content for the community.